Approved Energy Improvements (EI) List
Please work with an approved contractor to determine the Energy Improvement(s) that best suits your needs.
RESIDENTIAL – Approved Energy Improvements
- Solar Thermal Water Heater
- Also called solar domestic hot water system, this generates hot water and consists of a storage tank(s) and solar collector(s). Collectors absorb solar thermal energy that heats water in storage tanks, which will store heated water until it is needed.
- Solar PV Water Heater
- Electricity generated by solar photovoltaic panels is used to heat water inside a tank. Any excess electricity generated can be diverted into the electrical grid or to charge a battery for power that can be used later.
- Heat Pump Water Heater
- Heat pump water heaters use electricity to move heat from one place to another instead of generating heat directly and can be two to three times more energy efficient than conventional electric water heaters. To move the heat, a heat pump works like a refrigerator in reverse: it pulls heat from the surrounding air and uses it to heat water inside a tank.
- Solar PV System
Please note that only one Energy Improvement per financing or leasing application is accepted. If you intend on installing both water heating and energy generation types of improvements to reduce energy consumption, industry best practices recommend installing water heating equipment first before energy generation equipment. This will provide the solar PV contractor a post-water heating installation energy consumption to better determine the correct size of a solar PV system to meet your energy needs.
COMMERCIAL – Approved Energy Improvements
- Water Heating
- Thermal Storage Pumps
- Building Envelope
- Other Commercial Energy Efficiency Technologies (subject to HGIA approval)
- Solar PV System