Homeowners or Renters
What it is GEM$?
The Green Energy Money $aver (GEM$) On-Bill Program is an innovative financing program for homeowners and renters offered exclusively by the Hawaii Green Infrastructure Authority that features:
- Immediate bill savings
- Elimination of credit barriers
- Obligation tied to the utility meter (not a person)
- Payments conveniently made on your monthly electric utility bill.
How does GEM$ work?
By including the GEM$ repayment on your monthly utility bill, HGIA is able to relax its credit underwriting requirements and allow the obligation to transfer from ratepayer to ratepayer via the home’s electric utility meter.
- Homeowner/Renter, who is the Ratepayer (the “Applicant”), will submit a GEM$ application to HGIA
- HGIA will determine the Applicant’s eligibility
- HGIA will determine the Project’s eligibility
- Upon approval and execution of program documents, the Energy Improvement is installed
- HGIA pays the GEMS Approved Contractor for the completed installation
- HGIA remits the On-Bill Obligation (OBO) information to its Loan Servicer
- Loan Servicer remits the OBO information to the Utility
- Utility remits monthly electric bill to Ratepayer with the monthly Program Charge for the OBO; Ratepayer pays the bill, including the Program Charge.
- Utility remits the Program Charge to HGIA
Approved Energy Improvement (EI) List:
- Solar PV System
- Solar Thermal Water Heater
- Solar PV Water Heater
- Heat Pump Water Heater
HOW DO I APPLY FOR GEM$?
Download an application:
- For HOMEOWNERS, click here to download a printable application packet
- For RENTERS, click here to download a printable application packet
Complete, sign and return, along with a copy of your most recent utility bill and a valid government issued ID card to: Hawaii Green Infrastructure Authority, P. O. Box 2359, Honolulu, HI 96804.
NOTE: If you are not eligible for GEM$ on-bill financing program, you may still be eligible for other GEMS financing. Please contact us for more information on our other financing programs.
The GEM$ On-Bill Program was designed to provide split incentives and innovative repayment mechanisms to increase landlord/property owner participation.
HGIA will work directly with property owners on program requirements. Please contact us for more information.
- For LANDLORDS, click here to download a printable application packet
Qualifying for GEM$ is a simple 2-step process:
Step 1 – Applicant Eligibility
- Must be a Hawaiian Electric, Maui Electric or Hawaiian Electric Light Company customer on Rate Schedule R
- No disconnect notice issued by the Utility within the past 12 months (Sample Disconnection Notice)
- Minimum of 6 months of history with the Utility
- Households must be Low and Moderate-Income (LMI) (Defined as <140% Area Median Income per the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development and Hawaii Housing Finance & Development Corporation’s guidelines)
Step 2 – Project Eligibility
- Energy Improvement (EI) must be on the Approved EI List
- Contractor must be a GEMS Approved Contractor
- Post-installation, the EI must provide a minimum 10% utility bill savings
Energy Efficiency Contractor must also be a Hawaii Energy Clean Energy Ally
Renter will need landlord/property owner approval