Nonprofit, Small Business, & Commercial Tenant
WHAT IS GEM$?
The Green Energy Money $aver (GEM$) On-Bill Program is an innovative financing program for nonprofits, small businesses and commercial tenants offered exclusively by the Hawaii Green Infrastructure Authority that features:
- NO upfront costs
- Immediate bill savings
- Elimination of credit barriers
- Obligation tied to the utility meter (not to an organization)
- Payments conveniently made on your monthly electric utility bill
HOW DOES GEM$ WORK?
Qualifying for GEM$ is a simple 2-step process:
- Participant Eligibility
- Must be a Hawaiian Electric, Maui Electric or Hawaiian Electric Light Company customer on Rate Schedule G, J, DS or P
- Must be a nonprofit, small business, multi-family rental project or commercial tenant
- No disconnect notice issued by the Utility within the past 12 months
- Project Eligibility
- Energy Efficiency contractor must also be a Hawaii Energy Clean Energy Ally
- Commercial tenants will need property owner approval
- Small businesses are defined by the size standards set by the U. S. Small Business Administration. To verify if your small business qualifies, click here.
By including the GEM$ repayment on your monthly utility bill, HGIA is able to relax its credit underwriting requirements and allow the obligation to transfer from ratepayer to ratepayer via the electric utility meter.
The following depicts the GEM$ process:
- Nonprofit, small business, MF project or commercial tenant, who is the Ratepayer (“Applicant”), to submit a GEM$ Application to HGIA;
- The applicant’s eligibility will be determined based on its utility payment history;
- Applicant selects a GEMS Approved Contractor who will submit the proposed Energy Improvement information to HGIA for analysis;
- Upon approval and execution of Program documents, the Energy Improvement is installed;
- HGIA pays the GEMS Approved Contractor for the completed installation;
- HGIA remits the On-Bill Obligation (OBO) information to its Loan Servicer;
- HGIA’s Loan Servicer remits the OBO information to the Utility;
- Utility remits monthly electric bill to nonprofit, commercial tenant or business with the monthly Program Charge for the OBO; nonprofit, commercial tenant or business pays monthly electric bill (including the Program Charge);
- Utility remits Program Charge to HGIA.
Approved Energy Improvement (EI) List:
- Solar PV Systems
- Water Heating
- Thermal Storage Pumps
- Building Envelope
- Other Commercial Energy Efficiency Technologies
HOW DO I APPLY FOR GEM$?
- For OWNER-USER (NONPROFITS OR SMALL BUSINESS), click here to apply on-line
- For TENANTS (NONPROFITS OR SMALL BUSINESS), click here to apply on-line
Download an application:
- For OWNER-USER (NONPROFITS OR SMALL BUSINESS), click here to download a printable application packet
- For TENANTS (NONPROFITS OR SMALL BUSINESS), click here to download a printable application packet
Complete, sign and return, along with a copy of your most recent utility bill and a valid government issued identification card to: Hawaii Green Infrastructure Authority, P.O. Box 2359, Honolulu, HI 96804
The GEM$ On-Bill Program was designed to provide split incentives and innovative repayment mechanisms to increase landlord/property owner participation.
HGIA will work directly with property owners on program requirements. Please contact us for more information.
Note: If you are not eligible for GEM$, HGIA may have other financing options available to you. Please contact us for more information or complete and submit the information below: