For Homeowners (PV)
Why is GEMS Good for Homeowners?
GEMS offers Hawaii residents in the counties of Oahu, Maui, and Hawaii the opportunity to save on energy costs:
- Own your solar PV system
- Save on your electric bill*
- No down payment, 100% financing
- 20-year fixed rate
- Flexible underwriting guidelines
- 5.99% APR for Qualified Applicants
*Cost savings estimates are calculated based on the loan amount, interest rate and future electricity prices (which are projected to increase over time). While the loan amount and interest rate will remain fixed, estimated savings are not guaranteed as electricity prices and homeowner usage may increase or decrease which will impact on the estimated savings associated with the installation of a PV and/or PV plus storage system.
How it Works:
- GEMS is a state program designed to provide Hawaii residents with financing for PV systems.
- Homeowners are responsible for repaying the loan which features fixed monthly payments without increases or escalators.
- Before installing a PV system, borrowers are encouraged to reduce household electrical consumption as much as possible with energy-efficient appliances and other energy-saving improvements. Implementing energy efficient improvements before installing a PV system may reduce the size and cost of the PV system and allow your PV system to meet a greater percentage of your electricity needs. For more information on energy efficiency and available rebates, go to https://hawaiienergy.com/for-homes/tips-to-save-energy.
- Borrowers are encouraged to check with a tax consultant to determine if they qualify to receive federal or state tax credits. Where state and federal tax credits are earned as a result of installing a PV system, applying that savings to pay down the initial loan amount will maximize savings to the homeowner.
Click here for an Application
Qualification Criteria for Homeowners
- Homeowner located in HECO, HELCO, or MECO utility service territories
- Property must be owned or on Hawaiian Home Lands with at least 25 years remaining on the lease.
For more information contact a GEMS approved installer today or click on the link below.