For Homeowners (PV)
Why is GEMS Good for Homeowners?
GEMS offers Hawaii ratepayers in the counties of Oahu, Maui, and Hawaii the opportunity to save on energy costs:
- Own your solar PV system
- Save on your electric bill*
- No down payment, 100% financing
- 20-year fixed rate
- Flexible underwriting guidelines
- 5.99% APR for Qualified Applicants
*Cost savings estimates are calculated based on the utility interconnection type, loan amount, interest rate and future electricity prices (which are projected to increase over time). While the loan amount and interest rate will remain fixed, estimated savings are not guaranteed as electricity prices and homeowner usage may increase or decrease which will impact on the estimated savings associated with the installation of a PV .
How it Works:
- GEMS is a state program designed to provide eligible Hawaii ratepayers with financing for solar PV systems. Other financeable costs may include required electrical upgrades, permit fees, fees charged by the Utility related interconnection approval, and other hard cost and structural improvements, up to 20% of the cost of the solar PV system.
- Before installing a PV system, borrowers are encouraged to reduce household electrical consumption as much as possible with energy-efficient appliances and other energy-saving improvements. Implementing energy efficient improvements before installing a PV system may reduce the size and cost of the PV system and allow your PV system to meet a greater percentage of your electricity needs. For more information on energy efficiency and available rebates, go to https://hawaiienergy.com/for-homes/tips-to-save-energy.
- Meet with a GEMS approved installer to design a system to meet your needs.
- Apply on-line
- For joint applications, submit a seperate e-sign signature page
- Download a printable copy and fax to 808-587-3896 along with a copy of your most recent Utility Bill and a copy of a Government issued identification card.
- Download a printable copy and mail to: PO Box 2359 Honolulu, HI 96804 along with a copy of your most recent Utility Bill and copy of a Government issued identification card.
- Hawaii Green Infrastructure Authority (HGIA) will work with you to process your application.
- Borrowers are encouraged to check with a tax consultant to determine if they qualify to receive federal or state tax credits. Where state and federal tax credits are earned as a result of installing a PV system, applying that savings to pay down the initial loan amount will maximize savings to the homeowner.
- Loans may be re-amortized up to 3 times during the 20 year term at no cost to the borrower.
Qualification Criteria for Homeowners
- All parties named on title to the property must be borrowers on the loan
- Homeowner located in HECO, HELCO, or MECO utility service territories
- The electric utility account must be held by at least one borrower
- Properties held in trust are eligible
- The property may be fee simple or leasehold. Leased properties must have at least 25 years remaining on the lease.
For more information contact a GEMS approved installer today or click on the link below.